Sloppy Joes, Key West, FL
- posted in: News
It was September 8, 1978 when Sidney Snelgrove and the late Jim Mayer became owners of the world-famous watering hole “Sloppy Joes Bar.” The Snelgrove and Mayer families have kept the party going at the corner of Duval and Greene since then.
The late Jean Klausing came on board that same day, and spent over twenty three years as General Manager. After retiring Klausing acted as General Manager Emeritus/Historian and remained active in the business until his passing.
The bar began with the end of prohibition in 1933, and was called the Blind Pig, before being renamed Sloppy Joe’s. On May 5, 1937 Sloppy Joe’s moved to its current location at the corner of Duval and Greene..