Welcome Spring Breakers!
May 5, 2017 — 80 Years at the Corner of Duval and Greene
Sloppy Joe s Bar is a historic Key West landmark that has been in its current location since May 5, 1937.
Sloppy Joe s has been owned by the Snelgrove and Mayer families since September, 1978.
The building the main bar resides in was built in 1917, and its adjacent building that houses its kitchen and Joe s Tap Room was built it 1892. The two buildings together will be over 221 years old in 2016.
May 12, 2017 – Songwriters on stage at Sloppy Joe’s
Key West Songwriters 22nd Annual Festival May 10-14, 2017
Line up will be announced in 2017.
Sloppy Joe’s 37th Annual Papa Look-Alike Contest July 20-22, 2017. For more information visit our Papa Look-Alike page.
October 26, 2017 Sloppy Joe’s Annual Toga Party
Toga! Toga! Toga! Sloppy Joe’s Toga Party is “An Original Fantasy Fest Event.” Get your toga ON and find out why we are “Still The Best Toga Party in Town!” Transport yourself back in time with a traditional ancient Toga or dare to create your Toga using Fantasy Fest theme “Time Travel Unravels.” Best Togas will win Sloppy Joe’s gift cards throughout the night. Toga sheets are available for purchase in the Sloppy Joe’s Retail Store for $10 (Proceeds to AIDS Help, Inc.). 201 Duval Street. 8 PM. Door charge.
- No registration; free to participate.
- We will be having mini contests at 8:00 pm and 11:30 pm band breaks. Audience will choose winner. First Place $100 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card, Second Place $75 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card and Third Place $50 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card.
- At 9:30 pm, we will have groups on stage (a group is 2-8 people). Audience will choose winner. First Place $300 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card, Second Place $200 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card and Third Place $100 Sloppy Joe’s Gift Card.
- Contestants must be dressed in a toga and are encouraged to dress in Ancient Roman theme or be creative using the Fantasy Fest theme “Time Travel Unravels.” for their toga.
- Body paint is not a toga, but may be used as part of the toga costume.
- Hosts will gather contestants and introduce them. Audience response will determine three (3) finalists; and audience response will determine three (3) winners.
November 1-5, 2017 Sloppy Joe’s welcome Parrot Heads to Key West
November 5-12, 2017 Sloppy Joe’s welcome Power Boat Race Fans to Key West
December 5, 2017 – End of Prohibition Party
Sloppy Joe’s Bar will celebrate eighty four (84) years since the End of Prohibition.
photo by Johnny White www.milezerokeywest.com
December 31, 2017 NEW YEARS EVE — Sloppy Joe’s 25th Annual Dropping of the Conch Shell
Sloppy Joe’s will host its 25th Annual Dropping of the Conch Shell. Any thing goes New Year’s Eve in Key West on Duval Street. You’ll find people all decked out for the midnight celebration, and folks still in their bathing suits and flip flops when the Conch Shell drops from the roof of Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
The idea and implementation of the New Year’s Eve Dropping of the Conch Shell is that of local artist Tobias McGregor. In 1993, McGregor approach Sloppy Joe’s management about the New Year’s Eve plan. “Before the dropping of the Conch Shell, everyone would just wonder around Duval Street, celebrating the New Year when their watches read midnight. The crowd was just not in sync,” said McGregor.
The initial Conch Shell was rigged on a frame, the shell was lowered manually, and timed by watch, or by looking across the street into a window and watching the countdown in Times Square on someone’s TV. McGregor said, “the Queen Conch has come a long way since the early years, and the crowd at the corner of Duval and Greene expects more each year.”
Outside the crowd starts to gather on the street around 10:00pm as Sloppy Joe’s rooftop host entertains the crowd and everyone dances, catches beads and waits for the countdown clock to begin. As midnight strikes and the Conch Shell is lowered confetti, streamers and lights will fill the sky.
No reservations taken. No tickets sold.
Sloppy Joe’s 14th Annual Put-In-Bay Music Festival February 8-10, 2018.
2018 PUT-IN-BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL SCHEDULE – will be posted when available.