Fun Things To Know…
– Sloppy Joes is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
– The Sloppy Rita was named Best Margarita in Florida by reader of Florida Monthly Magazine.
– Two Cuban National Record fish hang in the bar – one is a Marlin which is 569 lbs. caught by author Phil Caputo, and the second is a Dolphin which is 67.5 lbs. caught by the Sloppy Joes Fishing Team in 1998.
– A second huge Marlin hangs on the picture wall.
– The picture wall inside Sloppy Joes features photos of Hemingway throughout his life.
– The winners of Sloppy Joe’s Hemingway Look-Alike Contests fill another picture wall at the Satellite Bar.
– The airplane propeller, which hangs over the Main Bar, was from one of the first PAN AM flights between Key West and Havana.
– March 15, 2008 Kenny Chesney performed at Sloppy Joes for four (4) hours and twenty (20) minutes.
– Chesney followed up with another unannounced show March 14, 2009 taking the stage for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
– Billy Currington and his band performed a 90 minute show at Sloppy Joes December 5, 2009.
|Q.:||Sloppy Joe’s, originally named the “Blind Pig,” opened in what year?|
|Q.:||How long has Sloppy Joe’s been located at Duval and Greene Streets?|
|Q.:||Who suggested to Josie Russell (original owner) that he rename his shabby bar Sloppy Joe’s?|
|Q.:||What was the name of the 300-pound hearty black bartender at Sloppy Joe’s in the ’30s?|
|Q.:||What era was ending when Sloppy Joe’s opened?|
|Q.:||Inside Sloppy Joe’s bar hangs a Cuban record Marlin caught by journalist and author Phil Caputo. How much does it weigh?|
|Q.:||Ernest Hemingway was born July 21, 1899. Each year around the authors birthday Sloppy Joe’s hold what event?|
|A.:||The Annual Hemingway Look-Alike contest.|
|Q.:||True or False. Sloppy Joe’s has a menu with quality, reasonably priced food.|
|Q.:||True or False. Sloppy Joe’s has live entertainment.|
|A.:||True. Live entertainment 365 days a year, from Noon to 2:00am each day.|
|Q.:||What event does Sloppy Joe’s hold each October during Fantasy Fest?|
|A.:||Sloppy Joe’s Annual Toga Party|
|Q.:||What event does Sloppy Joe’s host each New Year’s Eve?|
|A.:||Sloppy Joe’s Annual Dropping of the Conch Shell|