Fun Things To Know…
– Sloppy Joes is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
– The Sloppy Rita was named Best Margarita in Florida by reader of Florida Monthly Magazine.
– Two Cuban National Record fish hang in the bar – one is a Marlin which is 569 lbs. caught by author Phil Caputo, and the second is a Dolphin which is 67.5 lbs. caught by the Sloppy Joes Fishing Team in 1998.
– A second huge Marlin hangs on the picture wall.
– The picture wall inside Sloppy Joes features photos of Hemingway throughout his life.
– The winners of Sloppy Joe’s Hemingway Look-Alike Contests fill another picture wall at the Satellite Bar.
– The airplane propeller, which hangs over the Main Bar, was from one of the first PAN AM flights between Key West and Havana.
– March 15, 2008 Kenny Chesney performed at Sloppy Joes for four (4) hours and twenty (20) minutes.
– Chesney followed up with another unannounced show March 14, 2009 taking the stage for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
– Billy Currington and his band performed a 90 minute show at Sloppy Joes December 5, 2009.
Q.: Sloppy Joe’s, originally named the “Blind Pig,” opened in what year?
Q.: How long has Sloppy Joe’s been located at Duval and Greene Streets?
A.: Since 1937.
Q.: Who suggested to Josie Russell (original owner) that he rename his shabby bar Sloppy Joe’s?
A.: Ernest Hemingway
Q.: What was the name of the 300-pound hearty black bartender at Sloppy Joe’s in the ’30s?
A.: “Big” Skinner
Q.: What era was ending when Sloppy Joe’s opened?
Q.: Inside Sloppy Joe’s bar hangs a Cuban record Marlin caught by journalist and author Phil Caputo. How much does it weigh?
A.: 569 pounds.
Q.: Ernest Hemingway was born July 21, 1899. Each year around the authors birthday Sloppy Joe’s hold what event?
A.: The Annual Hemingway Look-Alike contest.
Q.: True or False. Sloppy Joe’s has a menu with quality, reasonably priced food.
Q.: True or False. Sloppy Joe’s has live entertainment.
A.: True. Live entertainment 365 days a year, from Noon to 2:00am each day.
Q.: What event does Sloppy Joe’s hold each October during Fantasy Fest?
A.: Sloppy Joe’s Annual Toga Party
Q.: What event does Sloppy Joe’s host each New Year’s Eve?
A.: Sloppy Joe’s Annual Dropping of the Conch Shell